Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
Deciding what to write in a 30th birthday card is a challenge. This can be a significant birthday for many—it’s when they go from being “young adults” to official “grown-ups.” It’s the next milestone after turning 21, yet there are no new rights or responsibilities. Thirty isn’t old enough to be over the hill, so you can’t make funny old people jokes.
You have two options. You can inspire with a sincere birthday wish or use your creativity to come up with something humorous. The following examples include funny and sincere wishes and even a couple of poems. Read these and choose one that best fits your 30-year-old, then add something personal to make the words even more special.
Funny 30th Birthday Messages
- Thirty is a much more respectable number than 29. I’m wishing you a birthday filled with happiness and respect, now that you’re 30!
- Twenty seems so far away on your 30th birthday. You’re looking at 40, now!
- Now you’re getting further from your physical prime, but your mental prime is approaching.
- Now that you’re 30, it’s time to start thinking about getting around to maybe acting like a grown up, at least some of the time. But you’ve got a little time left if you’re not quite ready.
- Thirty should be called “thirting” because this is around the time it starts hurting a lot more when you exercise.
- I would give you 30 birthday spanks, but I just don’t have enough energy any more.
- Congratulations on your second time turning 29! I can’t wait until next year when you turn 29 again.
- It’s not the physical aging, but the psychological aging that really makes you feel old at 30.
- I know that now that you are in your 30s, you are going to have to really grow up and become a mature and responsible adult.
- Try not to think of it as 30 candles. It’s really just 15 candles per lung, and you’re not old unless you can’t blow them all out in one breath.
- You’ll never be trusted by a teenager again. You’re officially too old to trust.
- Three decades is a long time. If you were a mortgage, you’d be all paid by now. Ironically, most 30-year-olds are just starting their mortgages. Happy 30th!
- Say goodbye to your 20s. You’ll never see them again.
- Thirty is a very good representative number for your age. It could stand for the 30 thousand dollars most people owe on their cars and credit cards at your age. It could stand for the 30 extra pounds people your age have put on since high school. Or it could stand for the 30 years left you have to work before even thinking of retiring.
- Congratulations, you now have 30 excuses to let someone younger than you lift something heavy.
- Thirty-year-olds actually have more fun than their younger counterparts because they can get away with more. No one expects the guy in his thirties, and everyone believes you when you deny that you did anything wrong. Congratulations on your new alibi.
Inspirational and Christian Messages
Milestone birthdays are a great time to write something inspirational and sincere. As the person moves on to another decade, they will reflect on what is most important. Use a message like the following to inspire.
- Jesus was 30 when he started his ministry. That means you are definitely the right age to be used by God. Happy 30th birthday!
- Thirty is old enough to be taken seriously, but you’re not likely old enough to be jaded and burned out. Congratulations on being at the perfect age to do great things.
- Thirty may not seem like a special milestone because you’re not really young and not really old, but any day is a perfect day to be the special person that you are. I’m wishing a special birthday to a special person.
- Turning 30 can be difficult as you realize that you are getting older and your time is limited. Instead of getting depressed, use this new mature perspective to do great things in your 30s.
- Write 30 bucket list items today that you want to cross off before you are 60. Then you won’t have any regrets after the next 30.
I was thirty-two when I started cooking. Up until then, I just ate.
— Julia Child
Quotes About Being 30
- “30 is the new 20, unless you’re 20, then it’s the new 40.” —Dane Peddigrew
- “Time and Tide wait for no man, but time always stands still for a woman of thirty.” —Robert Frost
- “The excess of our youth are checks written against our age and they are payable with interest thirty years later.”—Charles Caleb Colton
- “The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.” —Hervey Allen
- “Men reach their sexual peak at eighteen. Women reach theirs at thirty-five. Do you get the feeling that God is playing a practical joke?” —Rita Rudner
- “Doctors tell me I have the body of a thirty-year-old. I know I have the brain of a fifteen-year-old. If you’ve got both, you can play baseball.” —Pete Rose
- “When you turn thirty, a whole new thing happens: you see yourself acting like your parents.” —Blair Sabol
- “The epitaphs on tombstones of a great many people should read: Died at thirty, and buried at sixty.” —Nicholas Murray Butler
- “Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together and your body starts falling apart.” —Caryn Leschen
- “Thirties? More like the ‘hurties.’ Strange little pains that somehow invade your knees, back, and occasionally your digestive system.” —Anonymous
- “Oh, how I regret not having worn a bikini for the entire year I was twenty-six. If anyone young is reading this, go, right this minute, put on a bikini, and don’t take it off until you’re thirty-four.” —Nora Ephron
- “Thirty was so strange for me. I’ve really had to come to terms with the fact that I am now a walking and talking adult.” —C.S. Lewis
- “Thirty–the promise of a decade of loneliness, a thinning list of single men to know, a thinning briefcase of enthusiasm, thinning hair.” —F. Scott Fitzgerald
Poems for Someone Turning 30
A Poem for 30-Year-OldsAnother decade has gone by
Time is starting to seem to fly
Now with 20’s being gone for good
More to take care of than I should
What’s next but middle age?
The story written page by page
It only gets better from here
There’s nothing left of life to fear
Funny 30th Birthday Poem
I was going to write a funny poem that’s dirty
But then I found out that you are now thirty
You’re much too mature for things like that
All you have left to do now is get old and fat
Susan Ream from Michigan on October 31, 2011:
Enjoyed reading your card messages .. I like to write my own cards too. You are very witty Mr. Flannery .. 🙂 I liked these two the best: “Say goodbye to your 20’s. You’ll never see them again,” such a melancholy and funny thought and I liked “Jesus was 30 when he started his ministry. That means you are definitely the right age to be used by God. Happy 30th birthday!” What a motivational thought. Thanks for the fun read!